Carlton Male Voice Choir maintains a large and varied repertoire from sacred to secular, spirituals to show songs, serious to light-hearted, ancient to modern music, all designed to suit wide variety of tastes and a flexible concert requirement. Each year the choir renews its repertoire completely and singers learn the music by memory.
The choir performs around 20-25 times per year featuring two festival concerts; one in the April at Nottingham’s finest classical venue The Albert Hall and another at Christmas usually held in a large church. Additionally the choir tours once per year having visited some wonderful places across Europe to include Italy, France, German, Belgium and Holland. The choir is a registered charity itself (No. 516024) and often performs for good causes, it is well supported by our Ladies Support Group and Friends of Carlton Male Voice Choir Group and holds its own renowned and fiercely fought Music Competition “The Music Makers” recognising exceptional young musical talent from the area.
The choir has a strong and energetic elected committee that manages its day-to-day workings and a fresh, robust and capable Music Team including Musical Director Ian Watts, Assistant Musical Director Andrew Atkinson, Principal Accompanist Roger Holland and Deputy Accompanists Anne Hall and John Sellers.
The choir prides itself on performing at a high level consistently, continually challenging its own standards, professional management which embraces change, being supportive and inclusive to singers from all walks of life and backgrounds whilst thriving on a solid social culture for all its members.
Most of all the choir is about having fun, enjoying our singing in both learning and performing and then enjoying a social gathering afterwards.
Here are 10 good reasons why YOU should Join Us…
- Contribute to the great sound of a big male voice choir
- Take part in something which can benefit your health, through improved breathing, reduced stress and overall better well-being
- Be on stage in high profile performances at famous venues, as well as intimate concerts for local audiences
- Enjoy subsidised concert tours to lands such as Germany, Canada, Holland, Ireland, Greece, Italy and the Czech Republic, as well as weekends away in various parts of the United Kingdom
- Help raise thousands of pounds for deserving causes – local, national and international
- Become part of a proud history of a choir that celebrated it’s Centenary in 2008
- Immortalise your voice as you sing with the choir on its next recording
- Enjoy the comradeship of new friends who share a common interest – a love of singing – and strive for a common purpose – the highest possible standard of performance
- Have the opportunity to take part in the choir’s busy social life, including events organised by our Ladies Support Group, which raises thousands of pounds for the choir
- Get involved in a pastime which can become seriously addictive – just ask any of our members who, once they started singing, simply could not stop! Here are some of their comments:
“I was made very welcome by everyone I met and things have not changed”
“The pleasure of singing and the challenge of new music”
“Everybody was friendly and encouraging”
“The first song made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!”
“I wished I’d joined years ago”
“I believe, to my great satisfaction, that my singing, has improved and I feel much more confident”
“I enjoy Choir tours which are very well organised”
“Carlton Male Voice Choir should be available on the NHS!”
The choir is registered charity No. 516024